New & Very Much Improved Table

IMG_2239
A few months ago my husband and I decided we wanted a new dining table.  After looking around online we fell in love with a dining table from Restoration Hardware (I mean, who doesn’t love RH?).  However we did NOT love the price tag.  So we decided to make our own, and we are super happy with the results!

Our old dining table was a Craigslist purchase, and we fixed it up and painted it a blue-ish grey.  We loved the color and the shape of the table, but it slightly sagged in the middle and we were constantly worried that the paint was going to get messed up and our table would look horrible (it’s not fun to have to sand down multiple layers of paint & primer and re-do everything).

IMG_2111

Our old dining table

Our new dining table measures 106″ long,  43″ wide, and 30″ tall.  We wanted to have something that could accommodate a large number of people, and we think we achieved that!  For the color we wanted something that looked like a “farm table,” which proved to be pretty hard since Douglass Fir is a pretty red wood.  To achieve this color we stained this table with 2 layers of pre-stain, 2 layers of Weathered Grey (with poly), and 2 layers of Kona (with poly).

I’m going to post some more of our finished pictures below, but please keep reading on the next page to find out how we made this gorgeous table!

Advertisements

From Garbage to Gorgeous

0721141808

I don’t know if I ever pictured myself as someone who found so much happiness in gaining other people’s trash, but here we are.  We absolutely love this table, and the BEST part is that it was made out of a dining table that one of our neighbors threw away!

We had been planning on building a custom coffee table for a while now because we were being pretty picky about what we wanted.  So it was pretty perfect when we discovered this dining table just waiting for us to rescue it and convert it into our beautiful coffee table!  The dining table was 3.5 ft by 5 ft, and while that is a really large table for a coffee table, it fits our space perfectly.

This process was not as easy as it might look: it involved a lot of steps, but we couldn’t be happier with the end result.  This was mainly a project my husband worked on, but I’m going to do my best to go through the process!